I’ve seen a lot of criticism about Alan Greenspan as he hands over the throne of the US Federal Reserve to Ben Bernanke. Here are some of the articles that I have seen (I haven’t read all of them):
- Great story by Bill Fleckenstein, “Greenspan: The worst Fed chief ever“. He goes into great detail to explain his point of view.
- I wish I could get through this entire article, “Reflexive Disintermediation: Say What? Learning To Live With It,” but it’s a bit heavy for me.
- Barry Ritholtz at The Big Picture discusses some myths and misunderstandings about Greenspan in “Free Lunch: Myths of the Greenspan Era.” Summary: “Greenspan’s legacy is based on the Free Lunch: easy money, and lots of it.” There’s also a longer version of the same article.
- Of course not to be left out, The Mess That Greenspan Made: (How 18 Years of Easy Money Have Changed the World) has an article (actually many articles) about Greenspan’s record and a reflection following his departure. It summarizes articles from the big media sources.
- “Three Sins, One Gift – The Gift” (more Greenspan bashing).